Sports, Fitness & Recreation
Programs in this area develop fitness, positive use of leisure time, skills for stress management, appreciation for the environment and social skills. Programs in this core area include:
- Triple Play: A Game Plan for Mind, Body & Soul - Triple Play strives to improve the overall health of Club members ages 6-18 by increasing their daily physical activity, teaching them good nutrition and helping them develop healthy relationships. The Mind component encourages young people to eat smart through the Healthy Habits program. The Soul component helps build positive relationships and cooperation among young people.
- 100-Mile Club: Staff and members track their miles as they walk and run their way to fitness. Who will be the first to reach their goal and how long will it take? Join us!
- Fitness Authority: A fitness program that test youth and provide them with activities that helps to increase their fitness skills.
- Forest Discoveries: Forest Discoveries is a unique program to the Boys & Girls Club of Central Virginia. This program, under the leadership of scientist Diana Foster, integrates hands-on experiences in nature with science, the visual arts, creative writing, and opportunities for character.
- Social Recreation: play board and table games, compete in a tournament, learn a new activity or just visit with friends. Social Recreation programs help members learn skills while teaching them how to work together.
- Cycling Challenge: The Boys & Girls Club Cycling Challenge is an annual fundraising event to benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia. Every year the "Challenger Team" is made up of 8-12 club members who train 3 days a week all summer in preparation of completing the 64-mile cycling challenge! For more information, visit www.bgcchallenge.org.
- Lacrosse the Nations: Lacrosse the Nations provides a week long camp and bi-weekly intramural league in the summer for the Boys and Girls Club. The mission of this nonprofit, working domestically and in Central America, is to unify the lacrosse community to sustainably improve education and health while creating hope and opportunity for children in need. To learn more visit www.lacrossethenations.org.