Health & Life Skills
Programs in this Core Program Area of Health & Life Skills develop young people’s capacity to engage in positive behaviors that nurture their own well-being, set personal goals and live successfully as self-sufficient adults. Programs in this core area include:
- SMART Moves: The SMART Moves (Skills Mastery and Resistance Training) prevention/education program addresses problems such as drug and alcohol use and premature sexual activity. The program uses a team approach to teach young people ages 6 to 15 how to say no by involving them in discussion and role-playing, practicing resistance and refusal skills, developing assertiveness, strengthening decision-making skills and analyzing media and peer influence.
- Passport to Manhood: promotes and teaches responsibility in boys ages 11-14 through highly interactive activities to underscore the notion that he is on a personal journey of maturation and growth.
- SMART Girls: An outgrowth of the popular and effective SMART Moves program, SMART Girls is a health, fitness, prevention/education and self-esteem enhancement program for girls ages 8 to 17. The program is designed to encourage healthy attitudes and lifestyles that will enable early adolescent girls to develop to their full potential.
- Street SMART: This program includes conflict resolution, peer assistance, and valuing differences.
- Cavity-Free Zone: This program is designed to improve member’s self-esteem; develop sound, lifelong dental habits, teach the best practices for brushing and maintaining healthy teeth.
- Triple Play: Healthy Habits: Designed for ages 6 to 15, the program aims to incorporate healthy living and active learning in every part of the Club experience. Healthy Habits is also the "Mind" component of Triple Play: A Game for the Mind, Body and Soul, emphasizes good nutrition, regular physical activity and improving overall well-being.